Living in Kobe & Student support



College student / 1 year or 1 year and 3 months.

Living expenses

While the cost of living in Tokyo is JPY 100,000 / month over, that of Kobe is JPY 70,000 to JPY 80,000.


Usually a guarantor is needed to rent a room in Japan, Communica is a member of "Comprehensive Renters Insurance for Foreign Students Living in Japan" and can be your guarantor. One month rent is JPY 40,000 to JPY 50,000.


Facing the Seto Inland Sea, Kobe enjoys a temperate weather throughout the year and does not have much rain. The annual average temperature is around 16 to 18°C. Seasonal average is 26 to 30°C in summer, and 3 to 5°C in winter.

Part-time job

It is permitted up to 28 hours / week. (During long vacation: up to 8 hours / day).
Note: Permission needed.


National Health Insurance Disaster Compensation Systems for Students in Japanese Language Schools
Insurance payment around JPY 1,800 / month JPY 9,900 / year
Coverage 70% of medical / hospital expenses 30% of medical / hospital expenses
Rescuers' expenses No Yes
Liability No Yes

Note: Long term course students are required to join both of the above. If you do, all the expenses will be covered.

Scholarships (Long term course students only)

Per month Period
Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students (JASSO) JPY 48,000 For 1 year
Reservation Program for Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students (JASSO) JPY 48,000 For 1 year
(after entering college)
Rokko Scholarship (Kobe Student Youth Center Rokko Scholarship Foundation) JPY 50,000 For 1 year

Free / discount benefit for Cultural facilities

  • “Happy Memory Pass (issued by KOBE city)” and “Hyogo Culture Pass (issued by Hyogo pref.)”
  • “Happy Memory Pass (issued by Kobe International Center for Cooperation and Communication)” is a card which enables you to use Kobe city cultural facilities free of charge such as Kobe City Museum, Suma Aqualife Park, Kitano Foreign Residences, Mt. Rokko Pasture, and Kitano Museum.
  • “Hyogo Culture Pass” issued by Hyogo pref. is a card which enables you to use Hyogo prefectural facilities free of charge or at a discount rate.
  • The both cards will be given to all the students enrolled in Communica Institute Long-term course.